Frequently Asked Question
We charge hourly in quarter hour increments with minimum 1 hour travel charges. There is a two-hour minimum on all moves. Example; a move from Arlington to Arlington which begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 12:00 PM will be 4 hours, 3 hours of moving plus 1 hour of travel. Long distance moves are charged with a flat quote tariff process.
With years of piano moving experience, we welcome the challenge of moving any piano from upright spinets to grands. Your piano can be moved as part of a complete household move included in the charge of a move, or as a single item. Please call MMM for hourly rates on single piano moves. (Based on facility of access to and from moving locations, i.e. challenging stairwells.) Visit our piano page to see pics and piano moving procedures.
We require a 10% deposit for long distance moves only.
Unless otherwise arranged in advance, payment is expected before or upon receipt of your goods, in the form of cash, check and credit card. For local moves in the D.C. area, personal checks are accepted if drawn on a local bank. We charge an additional fee for credit card payments.
Mighty Men Moving provides with every move insurance at the industry standard of cargo, commercial liability, general liability, and workers’ compensation policies. This is the minimum coverage required by the government and is provided free of charge. Certificates of insurance are available upon request. To read more about insurance and valuation.
NOTE: Customer is financially responsible for any parking tickets incurred while our trucks are parked during scheduled moves.
Preparing For Your Move
- RESIDENTIAL MOVES – Residential moves are the largest percentage of the types of moves we perform. We are fully equipped to move large 4BR+ homes, apartments, row houses, townhouses, studios as well as only a few items.
- COMMERCIAL MOVES – We provide full commercial moving services. Offices are sometimes more challenging to estimate correctly than residential moves, so we always recommend an on-site estimate. We can also provide a full box packing service to prepare for a complete office relocation. Note that building managements almost always require Certificates of Insurance from moving companies before moving or box pack day.
- POD/ABF/RENTED TRUCKS – Some customers opting to use storage containers or rental trucks for their moves but still need professional help for loading/offloading, large/heavy items and box packing. Since items loaded into containers for long distance transport can shift dramatically it is important to use professional help. Mighty Men Moving offers (labor only, no MIGHTY MEN MOVING truck) for these types of moves. One of the most important details is how close you can park the container to the location entrance – a long walk will add more time to the process. If loading, consider if you will be providing furniture blankets or if you are needing to purchase protective materials from MIGHTY MEN MOVING. We offer cloth blankets for $10/ea., paper blankets for $3/ea. and shrink wrap for $15/roll. You will also need some type of tie-down straps for pianos and large items that will shift easily in transport. *Note that MIGHTY MEN MOVING is not liable for any household goods damages after the container or rental truck is in transport from the move location. Also note that MIGHTY MEN MOVING is not liable for any household goods damages during the direct offloading of items from containers that may have shifted or been damaged during transport to the offload destination.
- INTERSTATE/INTRASTATE MOVES – We require an on-site survey to provide our potential long-distance customers with a binding estimate and inventory for an efficient move process. Please contact us to set up an in-person estimate.
- STORAGE UNITS – Moving in/out of a storage unit is straight forward, a long walk between unit and truck will add more time to the process. For a move into storage, consider if you will be providing furniture blankets or if you are needing to purchase protective materials from MIGHTY MEN MOVING. We offer cloth blankets for $10/ea., paper blankets for $3/ea. and shrink wrap for $15/roll. Most times items being moved out of storage are blanket wrapped, if they are not we can wrap items and no additional materials charge with our day-to-day blankets.
- BOX PACKING ONLY – Mighty Men Moving can provide you with professional packing as a single service – separate from a pack & move package. The charges are hourly rate and materials.
- PIANOS – With years of piano moving experience, we welcome the challenge of moving any piano from small uprights to parlor grands. Your piano can be moved as part of a complete household move included in the charge of a move, or as a single item. Please call MIGHTY MEN MOVING for hourly rates on single piano moves. (Based on facility of access to and from moving locations, i.e. challenging stairwells, over grass carry.) Visit our piano page to see pics and piano moving procedures. We require a picture of your piano emailed to us before estimating moving costs.
- TELEPHONES – A cell phone number is necessary to help us for pre-move day confirmation and move-day communication. A secondary phone number such as a work contact is helpful.
- INSURANCE – Mighty Men Moving provides with every move insurance at the industry standard of cargo, commercial liability, general liability, and workers’ compensation policies. This is the minimum coverage required by the government and is provided free of charge. There may be a need for a separate individual insurance rider for very high valued items at additional costs. Certificates of insurance are available upon request.
To read more about insurance and valuation.
- PARKING – If parking a large truck will have limited space at either your old or new location, or if it appears that it will be necessary for us to double park in front of your locations, you should advise us of this before moving day. You should allow for about 40-50 feet per truck, including that the walk ramps add on to the total length of our trucks. If you live in a densely populated area such as Adams Morgan, Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria we advise you to obtain Emergency No Parking Signs from your local police precinct. You must ask for them four or more days in advance, fewer days will usually be too late for issue. You can help prevent any problems by parking your own cars and placing barrels, cones etc. in the necessary spaces – one to two days prior to the move. We also suggest d.TOPS (https://tops.ddot.dc.gov) and Permit Puller, (www.movingpermits.com)
NOTE: Customers are financially responsible for any parking tickets issued to Mighty Men Moving vehicles while vehicles are parked at locations during box packings and moves.
- ELEVATORS/DOCKS – Some buildings managements require you to reserve the elevator and/or loading dock in advance, and many building managements do not permit you to move on weekends, before 9AM or use their primary tenant elevators. An elevator key or independent use only setting is highly recommended. Please advise us as to the schedule you have reserved for your elevator.
- LARGE ITEMS – Certain bulk or large items (armoires, mattresses, cribs, large wall units, refrigerators, pianos, safes, cast iron stoves, etc.) can turn an otherwise easy move more challenging. Particularly if it is discovered after we arrive and begin your move that the job will require one or more complicated procedures involving hoisting or furniture disassembly. You can help us in this regard by providing us information regarding these items which we may have missed in estimating your move. We require a picture of pianos and gun safes emailed to us before estimating moving costs.
- HOISTING AND FURNITURE DISASSEMBLY/REASSEMBLY – Additional charges sometimes apply for hoisting, depending on your needs. We try to provide our trucks with the necessary tools for all basic furniture disassembly so let us know if you have a particularly unique item, it may require us to provide an estimate in person. Visit our hoisting page to see pictures of past hoisting jobs. For more extreme hoisting jobs, customers will need to sign a document releasing Mighty Men Moving from liability for potential damage.
- RATES – We charge hourly in quarter hour increments with minimum 1-hour travel charges. There is a two-hour minimum on all moves. Example; a move from Arlington to Arlington which begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 12:00 PM will be 4 hours, 3 hours of moving plus 1 hour of travel.
- PAYMENT – Unless otherwise arranged in advance, payment is expected before or upon receipt of your goods, in the form of cash, check and credit card. For local moves in the D.C. area, personal checks are accepted if drawn on a local bank. We charge an additional 5% fee for credit card payments. There is a 5% discount offered for payments in cash.
With all of us spending more and more time driving in DC metro area traffic, MIGHTY MEN MOVING must allow for travel times accordingly. Travel/drive time from our office to origin and back to our office when move is completed. Minimum travel time charge is 60 minutes.
- 60 minutes for Annandale, Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Oakton, Reston, Herndon, Centreville, Springfield…etc
- 1 – 1.5 hours for Chantilly, South Riding, Gainesville, Sterling, Woodbridge, Manassas, Mt. Vernon, DC and MD…etc
- Some VA and MD areas (Rockville, Germantown, Winchester) will exceed 1.5 hours…etc
|Type of Move||Sq. Feet||No. of Movers||Hours of Loading||Hours of Driving||Hours of Unloading||Apprx. Total Hours|
|2 Bedroom House||1,100+/-||3||3.5||.75+/-||2||5-8|
|3 Bedroom House||1,750+/-||3-4||4.5||.75+/-||3||7-9|
Please note: Factors that may effect this include: stairs, elevators, long carry, distance between new and old residences, truck parking, packing services and your own uniques size/amount of belongings.
*Gratuity is suggested and should reflect the quality and professionalism of service provided by our employees.
Mighty Men Moving can provide you with professional box packing in addition to our moving service – on the same day or prior to your move. For those who prefer to pack themselves, we can deliver to you your packing materials and you need not pay for them until the completion of you move. Free delivery (for scheduled customers) is available several days a week (20 box minimum). It is our recommendation that you use packing materials consistent with your desire to protect the quality of your goods. If you wish to use your own boxes, be sure they can be sealed top to bottom, and that they are strong enough and not over packed (i.e. records and books should not be packed in boxes originally designed for paper towels or such light items). Try also to use boxes similar in size, as they will be easier and safer to stack. Clearly label all fragile boxes accordingly (see packing instructions below). We cannot assume responsibility for damage to fragile items in a box not clearly marked as such and packed by customers.
We also sell good used boxes at a 75% discount off new box prices – a delivery fee applies for customers not booked for moving with Mighty Men. There is no credit for returned used boxes.
- BOOK BOX – (1.67 cf) – $2.25 – For books, records (upright), flatware and small kitchen items, and small fragile items. If packing small sets of dishes or breakables, pad the bottom of the box with three inches of wadded newsprint and wrap all breakables individually. Use the “tuck and roll” method with the packing of cups and glass items. Plates should be stacked vertically on their edges. Pack everything tightly, do not leave items protruding out and when box is full close the top flaps and seal.
- MEDIUM (LINEN) BOX – (3.1 cf)- $3.75 – Not just for linens and blankets, but for pots and pans, small kitchen appliances, lampshades, baskets, and other lightweight medium-bulky items. Please do not pack books or records in these boxes.
- WARDROBE (HANGING) BOX – $15.00/buy…$5/rent per move – One wardrobe will fit up to 3 linear feet of closet space. The cost of three or four wardrobes is less than what you’d spend to clean the clothes you are protecting. We prefer to supply and load wardrobe boxes on the day of your move, wardrobes are inconvenient space takers and are quick to load.
- PACKING PAPER – $25.00/25lb Bundle – Clean newsprint will protect your dishes and other fragile or scratchable items. Use generously. *Old newspaper works as well but note that ink can rub off on items and hands.
- TAPE – $2.25/roll – Plastic packing tape, for the tops and bottoms of all your boxes. Masking, cellophane, and duct tape should not be used. Do not apply the tape to the surface of your furniture items, such as desk of file drawers. The tape’s adhesive may leave a residue, or it may strip the paint or stain.
- SHRINK WRAP – $15/roll – For protecting cloth covered items such as couches from stains and dust, not ideal for scratch prevention on wood items.
- MATTRESS COVER – $10.00/ea. – Clear plastic bag of various bed sizes to protect mattresses and box springs from dust and rain during the moving process.
- FRAGILES/DISHES/GLASSES – Use as much packing paper as needed, the more used the better chance your fragile items will not be damaged. Pad the bottom of boxes with clear newsprint or newspaper, use clear newsprint to avoid ink on dishes. Do not overstuff boxes, this may cause damage to fragile items. Try to use smaller book boxes for fragile glass and china, larger boxes for pots and pans. *Kitchens take the longest to pack, start early and complete kitchen packing before moving day!
- REFRIGERATORS/FREEZERS – We can move these items, but quite often larger units will not fit through doors and we need to disassemble the handles or doors to fit. It will be that much more challenging if there is a water dispenser in needing to disconnect the water connection. Freezers should be emptied unless it is a garage to garage transfer.
- *We can also move industrial refrigerators, display cases, and wine coolers. This may require additional heavy-duty equipment with additional charges.
- MISCELLANEOUS KITCHEN – Seal cleaning supplies tightly. Small appliances should be packed in linen boxes or dish barrels. Refrigerators should be defrosted, and their trays removed. Perishable and glass items should be labeled and marked accordingly. We prefer that customers pack refrigerator/freezer items into temporary coolers themselves, we can move full coolers if needed. Tape brooms, mops, etc. together for efficiency.
- CLOTHING – Most dressers need to be emptied, unless they are medium/small such as children’s dressers. For hanging clothes, we can provide you with the necessary wardrobe boxes, at $5.00/ea. rental.
- OFFICE – Books, papers and files should be packed only in book boxes (not large boxes). The contents of desks should be emptied, as we cannot be liable for damage or loss to their contents while in transit. Sturdy metal file cabinets can be left full. Wooden and lateral file cabinets must be emptied, unless the move is in-house and will not involve stairs.
- BEDROOMS – We can disassemble beds and cribs (not water-beds), furniture wrap items, as a normal part of any move. We can also reassemble these items. However please note that the time we spend on any disassembly or reassembly is not computed in our estimate, and that we cannot be held responsible for complications, delays, or lack of proper tools. Let us know in advance if you’ve any special requests or need any special tools. Some “IKEA” type platform beds can be very time consuming to disassemble/reassemble. Disassembly of beds prior to the move day is recommended.
- DESKS/DRESSERS – Desks, nightstands and bookshelves should be completely emptied and cleared off. Chests and dressers are best emptied, it is only necessary to empty drawers if an item is very heavy or weak (i.e., IKEA). Also, dressers with weak legs/feet need additional care when tilting and carrying. If you cannot easily tilt a full dresser by yourself then it probably needs to be emptied. If a dresser is light it is acceptable to leave clothing in the drawers, fragile items and liquids should not be left in any drawers. Generally, drawers are difficult to carry individually, it is best to leave them in the item. * All jewelry chest must be emptied by the customer, we cannot load these into our trucks unless emptied of contents. Commercial type desks with hutches and returns will take additional time do disassemble/reassemble.
- FRAMES/PAINTINGS/PICTURES/MIRRORS – Consolidate into one area out of the lane of moving traffic. Please do not place into plastic bags. We typically wrap medium to large frames in furniture blankets, at customer request we can provide mirror cartons at $7/ea. NOTE: We cannot assume responsibility for frameless prints, posters and mirrors.
- LAMPS – Shades and globes must be removed and packed. We cannot be liable for damage to these if left unpacked. We blanket wrap all lamps. Pole lamps are very prone to damage if they have a weighted cement base, this base can already be cracked or will crack during any type of movement – we cannot take liability for this type of damage.
- PLANTS – We can move large and heavy pots and potted plants but prefer not to move smaller and more fragile plants. As plants are extremely vulnerable to changes in environment and temperature. The temperature in our trucks will be at least 15-20 degrees warmer in the summer season. We cannot assume liability for live plants. We cannot move loose potting soil, firewood and other yard supplies in our trucks.
- STEREOS, COMPUTERS, VCRs, ETC. – If you are unable to use your original boxes, we can wrap these items in furniture blankets. We prefer that customers move computers themselves because of sensitive hard drive data.
- GRANDFATHER CLOCKS – Weights, pendulums and chimes should be packed separately; chains should be secured in place.
WASHERS,DRYERS,STOVES-Couplings should be disconnected, but our crew can perform this task if requested in advance. We cannot, however, be held responsible for damage to housings, hoses or pipes. Gas dryer connections are sometimes beyond movers’ expertise.
- WASHERS/DRYERS/STOVES – Couplings should be disconnected, but our crew can perform this task if requested in advance. We cannot, however, be held responsible for damage to housings, hoses or pipes. Gas dryer connections are sometimes beyond our movers’ expertise.
- TREADMILLS/ELLIPTICAL/GYM EQUIP. – We can move these items, but sometimes there may be a need to disassemble the arms or other parts to fit through doors. Gyms with weight and pulleys can take hours to disassemble/reassemble.
- PLAYSETS – Outdoor play sets, basketball stands, trampolines and tree houses most times need to be disassembled to be move.
- PROPANE GRILLS – We cannot transport propane tanks attached to barbeque grills, and we cannot detach them for you. Please remove the tanks from the grills before moving day.
- FLAMMABLES/CLEANING SUPPLIES/SOLVENTS/LIQUIDS – We are not licensed to move these items. In addition, liquids may spill in our trucks wreaking havoc on your furniture and our hardwood floors. Wine bottles in wine boxes can break and cause major staining issues to other items in the trucks.
- FIREARMS/AMMUNITION – We are not licensed to move firearms. Please empty gun safes before they are moved.
- AQUARIUMS – We can move these items, but they must be completely empty of water and materials.
- LABELING – Label boxes with a magic marker, try not to use stickers since they tend to fall off during moves. Write as much information on boxes as possible so you can quickly find items at your new locations. Use consistent labeling such as MBR or GBR for Master Bedroom and Guest Bedroom. Write “fragile” on more than one side for fragile boxes.
FINAL NOTE – The more thoroughly items are packed, consolidated and sealed in moderate weight boxes, the quicker and easier your move will be completed.